Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Uncanny X-men


This one is a large painting in gouache and ink I did a little while ago. I've actually painted the original X-men team once before, but not in an action shot or in costume. While I grew up in the 80's and read the Claremont/Byrne comics of the team as a kid, the original lineup of mutants is my favourite. You can check out my various roughs that lead to the final art below:

Originally, I drew up this rough composition, but I hated it since it had so much dead space between figures:



So after some failed tinkering, I sat down and drew up a newer thumbnail which I liked much better. It's hard to read, I know, but it was enough to point me in the right direction:



That thumbnail lead to this new rough, which I used as the basis of the painting:



While the final art is done traditionally in goauche and ink, the roughs and the pencils were done digitally in Alias Sketchbook Pro -- a fun little drawing program I sometimes use for the novelty of drawing on my computer.

10 comments:

-Denver said...

Mike -- I just discovered you and your work today -- this painting is amazing, spectacular, uncanny!

And BTW, this is my favorite X line-up too!

Cheers!

Monkey Marc said...

That's super Mike! It will have pride of place on the 'cool wall' in the illustration studio of the degree course I run :)

damon said...

wow cool love it!!!

Paul Conrad said...

Michael... you know what I'm going to say....
Forget paying the bills and taking care of your family! Draw me some comics!!!

Beautiful work- as always. Thanks for sharing the process too, I love seeing that. What's the size of the painted piece?

Mickey Quinn said...

Woah, the process shots are awesome to see!

Dylanio21 said...

I love the original lineup.
I wish they'd just hire you to do old school books for people who loved the originals.
Like a job only you and a handful of others could handle correctly.
The current X-Men...don't do it for me...nor do the art styles chosen for them.

Mike of San Jose, CA said...

Wow... Just.... WOW!!!

Mike, seriously, what can we do to talk you into illustrating some comics!

seriously...

Dan C said...

Great job Mike. I couldn't agree with you more... the original X-Men are the best. I loved your take on the team in that X-Men: First Class story you drew awhile ago and this drawing is amazing as well. Love the composition and the classy two-tone coloring.

Michael Cho said...

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate your comments.

Paul: The painting is about 12" x 19" in size. Not gigantic, but still not able to scan in one piece on my large format scanner.

Alan said...

Genius composition!