Monday, August 23, 2010

Son of Fan Expo Superheroes!



Two more paintings from the recent batch I've been working on for Fan Expo. The bottom one is of Lara Croft (of Tomb Raider videogaming fame), while the top one is of everyone's favourite fin-headed spaceman, Adam Strange.

This is actually only the 2nd time I've ever drawn Lara Croft, even though I was a fan of the games back in the original playstation days. Of course, back then I actually had time to play epic, 40 hour adventure games -- something I no longer have. Looking at it now, I prefer my pencil sketch to the final painting, something that happens from time to time. You can check out the sketch for it here on my twitter feed.

As for Adam Strange, he's always been a personal favourite of mine. I even have a few Adam Strange stories that I've plotted, sitting in a folder somewhere. I think his appeal is that he's less of an action hero than a romantic lead -- all the classic stories of him feature Adam at the end, staring up at the stars, longing for his girlfriend Alanna who is billions of miles away. When I sat down come up with a composition for this piece, that's the image that came to mind most vividly.

As always, these were painted in gouache and ink, and are fairly large; about 12"x17" approximately. I'll be bringing these to Fan Expo, so if you're at the show, you can check out the original art there.

9 comments:

damon said...

so good

Randall said...

I really love this Tomb Raider picture. I've rarely seen an artist not reduce the character to shameless cheesecake -- yours looks like she could be right there, beating Indy to the punch.

It's really wonderful.

Michael Cho said...

Thanks, gentlemen.

Randall: yeah, that cheesecake theme was what I was trying to avoid here. I agree it' a bit played out with the character.

Kali Ciesemier said...

Your limited color is always awesome & inspirational. It's great to see how you deal with lights and shadows! Lovely pieces.

Anonymous said...

Changing the world one cross hatch at a time... ;)

Mother Fucker!!! Peoples be dying all ova' the world, and you's still drawin' comic books... :D

What's up Bro! It's me - Abbi, aka, Conrad Henry. The black Jamaican bastard down da' street from thee.

Call me bro - my number is in your email...

Blessings

PS... Oh yah, by the way, check out this youtube link, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeMABRCjrNk&p=CAFD14B078A9E648&index=1 and ditto on all the shit that the fawning masses said. ;)

Arkonbey said...

I agree with Randall: you made Lara look like an actually capable adventurer instead of eye-candy.

Not, that it isn't beautiful to look at, mind you ;)

Paul Conrad said...

Agreed on the anti-cheesecake goodness for Ms. Croft... but I'd Love to read an Adam Strange strip like this from you!

Michael Cho said...

Thanks, gentlemen. Always nice to hear from you guys.

Dylanio21 said...

I wish I was as talented as you to even work that big and so well.