Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Billboard Magazine


Here's a recent 1/2 page illustration I did for Billboard magazine, concerning the decline in British music retail. Above is the final art, and below, you can check out my colour rough.

I usually hand in colour roughs to most clients, as I find that it gives a much better idea of what the final will look like than a pencil rough. Since I usually pencil in "clear line" without indicating where the tones will be placed, it can be a bit misleading -- especially since I tend to drop out most outlines in my final artwork and only use the pencil as a guide for "painting" in tone.

9 comments:

damon said...

very cool

Jason Chalker said...

Really nice. Your rough is almost as nice as your finished piece. Are they always that tight?

Michael Cho said...

Thanks, guys. Jason, yeah, my roughs are kinda tight. I get a bit of ribbing for that from some of my "looser" friends, but it just a comfortable way for me to work. I should point out, however, that my roughs are usually about 1/3 the size of the final piece, so they're pretty tiny and quick to do.

Rich Dannys said...

Tight is Right.. Screw those "loosey-goosey" friends of yours! hah

His Master's Voice.. Great concept, and beautifully-executed!

Paul Conrad said...

Beautiful piece Michael --as always!

Arkonbey said...

The first thing I thought was what Jason thought.

Without seeing the final piece, I would have thought the rough was final.

I suppose, given your style, it has to be that way.

Michael Cho said...

Rich: thanks, Rich. Personally, I do wish I could hand in looser roughs. When I thumbnail, I work pretty loose, but I just can't bring myself to hand in anything that isn't fairly complete.

Paul: thanks for stopping by, Paul. Hope you and your family are well.

Arkonbey: thanks for the comment. It actually looks a bit rougher in the marker rough, but its so quick to clean that up in pshop, so I do a quick pass with it before handing it in.

Dominic Bugatto said...

Nicely done.

Abz said...

;)