Monday, May 04, 2009

...and a Quick Zatanna



This is the 2nd quick sketch I did this week, for a friend who wanted a drawing of Zatanna. For those who don't know, Zatanna is a DC Comics super-heroine, who happens to be a magician (The top hat and tux kinda gives that away, I think). I'd never drawn her before, so I was pleasantly surprised at how simple she was to sketch.

Like the Batman I posted earlier, this one was also done very quickly, in gouache and ink, with a little pshop cleanup after scanning. For those who might be interested, you can check out my pencil sketch for this drawing below.

11 comments:

damon said...

nice

i like

Eric Orchard said...

Really, really beautiful as always. I think you have very distinctive
"cho girls" gorgeous I mean.

Jason Chalker said...

Great Mike! The whole piece is wonderful, but you did an exceptional job on her hand. That's a very difficult angle and position to pull off.

Michael Cho said...

Damon: thanks, Damon

Eric: Thanks, Eric. But yeah, its a bit of a double edged sword there. I do have a slightly limited range in the kind of girls I like to draw - especially the super-hero types.

Jason: thanks, Jason. I actually enjoy drawing foreshortened hands -- I look for any opportunity to do it.

Danny said...

It's aweful! You should give it to me! ;)

alan said...

You did the hand beautifully - difficult angle

The Stapelia Company said...

Magicians AND comic art?! I'm in heaven!

Jason Truong said...

This is absolutely stunning, and I am so grateful that it's now part of my collection! Thanks Mike!

Michael Cho said...

Thanks, everyone.

Jason: glad you liked the sketch, buddy.

[RA] - LeModusOp - Falansh said...

Hi!
So great Cho's the draws are amazings.
Please.. I cant understand how you coloring in photoshop, what steps? ..Can you say me?

Michael Cho said...

Thanks. I actually don't do any real colouring on Photoshop -- its mostly just some cleanup. All the colour is applied on paper, either with an ink marker or gouache.