Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Digital Test Part 2


Here's another image from my week of test-driving the cintiq 12wx. As I mentioned in a previous post, I found the cintiq very handy for doing digital corrections and patches to existing artwork. In this case, I had an old drawing that I had created years ago which I wanted to revise a bit before it was published in print. I never liked the copy I had written for the original, since I had pretty much swiped it from an existing ad. So, in this case, I re-wrote and lettered some snappy new copy by hand (not on the cintiq) and inserted it into the drawing.

However, I also wanted to do some quick paste-ups to the artwork, swapping out 3 or 4 of the smaller images in the fake ad, which I was never very satisfied with. Normally, I'd draw the paste-ups by hand and then composite it in photoshop, but in this case, I drew the new images in a separate layer in pshop and then merged it in. The process was pretty seamless, and in the final product, I think it's hard to differentiate what was drawn by hand and what was patched on the cintiq.

For those who want to compare this piece to the original I posted years ago on my blog, you can check out this link.

I also have to thank Paul Conrad here for his advice on creating the paper-texture on this piece, though in the end I did the bare minimum of work in that department. Thanks for the help, Paul: I wish I had more time to follow your tips!

16 comments:

Brian Churilla said...

Holy crappola! That's hilariously awesome. Not to mention, awesomely hilarious. And thirdly, awesomely awesome. Don't tell me you hand lettered all that... Well, it's a good thing you aren't the slightest bit cynical, as can happen to cartoonists over the years. Whew! Dodged that bullet! ha

scott vanden bosch said...

great work Michael <3

Michael Cho said...

Brian: Cynical? Who, me? And yes, I handlettered all that copy. I am crazy-stupid that way. Hand hurt like a beyotch all day too.

Scott: thanks, Scott!

Tim Baron said...

These are beautiful. I'm pretty blown away by both of them.

If you don't mind my asking, could you post Paul's tips on making the paper texture?

It's very subtle and not overdone but uber effective.

OneSickIndividual said...

haha, very cool! and right on for your thoughts on the cintiq, always great to hear a fellow artists perspective.

Dan C said...

Ha! This is great Mike!

Hilarious, and nicely done. Love the drawing, the coloring gives it just the right "retro" feel, and the lettering is top-notch.

Very cool.

Scott Chantler said...

Wicked. I'm always ripping off old Popular Mechanics ads from the '40s for illustration and design ideas...as usual, we are of the same mind.

Even I'm not crazy enough to hand-letter, though. You're a maniac, Cho.

Michael Cho said...

Thanks for the kind words, fellas.

Tim: Paul's tips were a bit long to post here, but there's a link he pointed me to that has most of the info:

http://jonnycrossbones.com/tutorials/how-to-color-like-a-little-old-lady/

Roberto Zaghi said...

lol! Extremely nice artwork and composition... I want the complete course:)

Paul Conrad said...

Wow, Love it Mike! It looks great...is this just a self promotional piece? As to the lettering.. I "want" it.
Scan the serif and non serif stuff, and convert to a font please! :D

Michael Cho said...

Roberto: Thanks, Roberto. The fineprint says I reserve the right to refuse anyone, anytime :)

Paul: Thanks, Paul. This was originally drawn a while ago for myself, but its being published as an inside cover to a local magazine, so I thought I'd rework the copy & format it better for print size. As for scanning the font -- but where's the fun in THAT? :)

Paul Conrad said...

Ya ya...I know, I know....

:D

benton jew said...

Your transition from traditional to digital seems pretty seamless in your two examples. I was actually pretty surprised when you said you did most of your work traditionally. Your style seems to to be custom-made to be done digitally ( with the colored, flat shadow tones you do ). You've certainly been successful at replicating your analog brushwork. I've sort of struggled with that myself. Especially with hi-res work, having to zoom in get a smooth line is kind of a hassle. I do hear Sketchbook Pro is better at doing that than what I use ( Photoshop ) It's much closer to a real drawing experience.

Michael Cho said...

Thanks, Benton. I've been hearing a lot of nice things about Sketchbook pro -- one of these days I'll have to give it a try. Glad you thought my style translated well to digital -- it was a bit hard at first, but eventually I got the cintiq to behave the way I wanted.

Rick Cortes said...

Beautiful work.

Michael Cho said...

Thanks, Rick. Nice of you to drop by. Only ever see you on the drawingboard.org!