Friday, September 14, 2007

Transmission-X: Papercut - "Stars"


The page above is the first page of my new Transmission-X story, called "Stars". As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm now doing a webcomic called Papercut for the Transmission-X collective, which features a brand new short story from me each month. Last month's story, "Smoking" was a 4 pager, but this one comes in at 5 pages and took a bit longer to write and draw. I was pretty happy with the way turned out though, soI hope you'll visit the site and read it all for yourself.

Now, since this is my sketchblog, I thought I'd post some of the rough artwork I did while working on the story. You can see for yourself below the thumbnails, pencils and final inks (without lettering in place) from page one of the story. And yes, I do letter the entire story in the thunbnails. I know it seems crazy, but for me, I need to be able to read the text on the page in order to see if the pacing works or if my caption/balloon placement is correct. Call me obsessive, but its true...

8 comments:

RLS said...

Really really beautiful story, Michael. The story and art complemented each other perfectly. It was a pleasure to read.

Brian Evinou said...

looks great man, super cool stuff! PS your xmen print of yours I got at tcaf looks pimp framed in my studio! Thanks!!

rory said...

This looks great. Thanks for posting your steps, it's always cool to see an artists' process.

Tim Baron said...

Really cool stuff. Your two-tone stuff is excellent.

Michael Cho said...

RLS: thanks, Ron. I'm really glad you liked it. Hope you'll check out the other strips on Transmission-x too.

Brian: thanks, Brian! Glad that print went to a good home.

Rory: Thanks, Rory. Yeah, I enjoy peering into other artists' process too. Its always interesting to see how others think and work.

Tim: thanks, Tim. Much appreciated.

warren said...

this is great to see! Thanks for posting it.

Love your stuff at Transmission-X.

Gannon said...

Fantastic work Michael. There is an elegance to your work, even in your thumbnails.

Gannon

benton jew said...

You've got talent, kid! Thanks for showing the breakdown too!

Great work!