Sunday, May 28, 2006

Pages Books Signboard

A while back I posted an entry on a window display I did for Pages Bookstore in Toronto over the winter. Shortly afterwards, I was asked by owner Marc Glassman if I wanted to design a sandwich board for them. Having really enjoyed the experience of painting the large pieces for the window display, I said yes on the condition that I got to paint the final boards myself, rather than having them fabricated or painted by someone else.

Below are some sketches and photos showing the progress from rough idea to completed signboards.


After a few initial thumbnails, this was the final colour sketch I drew up for the 2 sides of the signboard. Originally, I was hoping to find some way to have the top of the heads protude above the sign, but that proved unfeasable.


Here they are in progress at the studio. The boards were just over 4 feet tall by 2 and 1/2 feet wide, and I painted them in acrylics.


And an installed view of the final boards. Not much difference from sketch to final, just a few minor tweaks here and there on the images.