Friday, February 17, 2006

Comics are For Kids Pt. 3

I featured the cover for this job a few posts ago, but here are some pages from a recent children's educational comic assignment that I just completed drawing. It stars a team of teens who fly a futuristic "shrink-ship" into a sick patient's bloodstream (ala the movie "Fantastic Voyage" and many other homages) to heal a diseased liver and also to teach readers about cells, gene therapy, the cirulatory system and a few other facts about biology and science.

I had a lot fun on this assignment as it featured an opportunity for me to draw some pretty imaginative scenes and backgrounds -- I mean, just what does the inside of the lymphatic system look like? I had to research it and then try and make it look cool and visually interesting for young readers. The colouring on this one is also a little slicker and more "photoshop-y" than I usually like to go, but I thought it was fitting with the sci-fi futuristic theme.










3 comments:

Oscar said...

Glad you posted the additional pages ... these are lots of fun. I think you are right about the digital coloring ... I would normally think it is a bit much, but it works well for this genre/audience.

The storyboard pacing on these are great ... really helpful in keeping the story captivating and moving forward.

logan's runner said...

This shit is the shit! Good colour changes between scenes/locations.

Toyebot said...

Both gross and FANtastic! Great job Michael!! The colors are wonderful.
cheers